Friday, February 6, 2009

The Secret Life of Bees


'The Secret Life of Bees' by Sue Monk Kidd

It was an enjoyable, easy read; I did not want it to end. I wanted to know more about the lives of the characters thereafter. Did Lily and Zach have a future together? Did Lily's dad come back for her?

The pink house with its serene inhabitants (or so I felt) was a perfect holiday home, with one of my favorite characters 'August', the pillar of strength, infinite wisdom and decades of mortal experience. You go to her for everything, and she will have a reply, the perfect words to make you feel better and the strength to make you want to believe and carry on. The role of the Black Madonna was equally riveting, a legend I have heard about, but know much more about now.

The analogies between the life of bees, and the human circle of life is interesting. Makes me want to read more about them. I was quite taken up with the names of the books referred to at the beginning of each chapter. For e.g. The Queen Must Die: And Other Affairs of Bees and Men. Author: William Longgood, Pamela Johnson. It goes on my 'Potential Books to Read List'. Ms. Kidd's interview at the end of the book was very revealing-the thoughts behind some characters, or reasons for their existence. 

To all those idiotic, annoying people of the world, I quote Rosaleen, 'You Shitbucket.....'

1 comment:

  1. This, as well as Kidd's other book entitled The Mermaid Chair, were excellent 'summer reads' for me. I thoroughly enjoyed watching both of the movies as well :)

    Btw thanks for stopping by mon petit blogue ;)

    ReplyDelete